Google

Sunday, September 2, 2007

Pros & Cons of Using SELECT, Views, and Stored Procedures in SQL Server

When I first started using SQL Server as a novice, I was initially confused as to the differences between the SELECT statement, views, and stored procedures. They all seemed to perform more or less the same task (retrieve data), and I wanted to know the pros and cons of using each.

Why would SQL Server offer three different options to retrieve data from database? As a developer and new DBA, I took it upon myself to learn everything I could about these options, why they may be required, and when they should be used. This article is a result of my learning and experience, and explains the differences between SELECT statements, views, and stored procedures for the DBA or developer new to SQL Server. I hope you find this article useful.

As you read this article, if you choose, you can cut and paste the code into Query Analyzer I have provided in order to more fully understand and appreciate the differences between the SELECT statement, views, and stored procedures. I have divided this article into three parts to better explain this information.

No comments: