Google

Wednesday, October 17, 2007

When To Use the Order By Clause

When I was using SQL Server, I was not using the "order by" clause properly. I always say myself that when I want the data in a particular order, I should use order by clause in select statement otherwise leave to the SQL Server. I presumed MS-SQL Server will return the data in its own order. I was not even thinking that am I using and doing correctly. In my initially days in my career, I was happy to retrieve the data and not knowing how it comes. It is the nature for the software engineers at the premature stage or using new command or tool or technology. They will not knowing properly or doing enough research of the each command before commence using the command. I would say it could be because of competition in the IT field and immature in IT field.

Where do we get the word "Order?" I have heard and seen in so many places the use of "Order" word. I have come across the listed places the "Order" word used regularly.


When an applicant applies for a student visa, visa officer will politely inform to the application order the applications and come back.
When a procurer gives a draft to the registrar officer, officer will politely return back the draft and request to order the draft.
Firm will display the designation in a proper order.
Construct a house; we will clean and even the land before establishing the Pillar.



The ultimate aim is "First IN has to first come OUT"

I have decided and kept in my mind that somewhere down the line in my IT career, I should know when I should use "order by" clause in the select statement. I know it will be on one FINE DAY". I will spend some time on "order by" command. That one fine day is TODAY to explore myself and find the ways to use the "order by" clause. This could be useful for a new developer and dba to SQL Server to avoid confusion on using "order by clause" and knowing when to use "order by" clause command.

To come along with me in this article, I have paste the script and result of the output. Example of the script can be used in a sql server to understand completely after reading the article.

No comments: